All Castlemakers events free and open to all unless otherwise otherwise noted.
In March Open Shop at the Makerspace (19 E. Franklin) is on Tuesdays from 7-9:30 pm. You can bring a project to work on or just visit! See our four 3D printers, laser cutter/engraver, new desktop CNC mill, hydroponics, Arduinos/Raspberry Pi’s, & use the building/making library.
Next Castlemakers Kids is Sunday March 11th at 1:30 pm. We’ll create a battery powered ‘motor’ using leftover CFL/Power Supply parts.
The Castlemakers CoderDojo, a free, volunteer-led, community-based programming club for young people, meets the first Saturday of every month. Our next meeting will be Saturday April 7th from 1-4 pm at 19 E Franklin St. Drop in anytime during that period to learn coding, work on a project or just have some fun…
The next 3DPO (3D Printer Owners) Meetup will be another road trip to IUPUI’s Herron Art School or Rose-Hulman Ventures to see their 3D printing equipment.
- The March class you’ll design an acrylic keychain or medallion then use our CO2 lasercutter to make it! The Intro to Lasercutters class is on Thursday 3/15 at 6:30 pm, see the classes page for reservations & more details.
Putnam County Events
- Putnam County Auxiliary Communications is offering an Amateur Radio Technician level licensing class starting on Monday 2/26 from 6:30-8 pm. The 4 week long class, meeting every Monday at 6:30 pm, will be at 19 E. Franklin St which of course is the Castlemakers Makerspace. Free(except for optional reading materials) and open to all. More details on their Facebook page.
- There will be an Amateur Radio License testing will be offered by PCAUXCOM at the Castlemakers Makerspace on Thursday March 22nd at 6 pm.
- Putnam County Public Library offers “Hour of Code” on Tuesdays at 4pm during the school year. Check their schedule for details.
- STEAM powered Wednesdays for kids 6-12 in the Imagination Portal of the Putnam County Public Library, third Wednesday of each month, see their website for details.
Regional STEM/Maker Events
- Indiana VEX Robotics State Championship is Saturday March 10, 2018 at the Lucas Oil Staduim in Indianapolis. If you haven’t been, this is the largest VEX state championship in the country & a great event for roboteers. Volunteers are needed for the event also.
- There is a agBOT Challenge at the 2018 NextGen Competition near Rockville, Indiana on May 17th. Besides seeing how technology impacts agriculture, there will be a VEX Robotics competition at the event. More info on their website.
- The Techpoint Foundation for Youth is hosting their second annual Hackathon for kids age 7 to 17 on Saturday July 28, 2018. Last year, Susanna and Alice Howard won the Team Excellence Award, representing our local CoderDojo.