All Castlemakers events free and open to all unless otherwise otherwise noted.
In June & July Open Shop at the Makerspace (19 E. Franklin) is on Saturdays from 8:30-12 pm. You can bring a project to work on or just visit! See our four 3D printers, laser cutter/engraver, new desktop CNC mill, hydroponics, Arduinos/Raspberry Pi’s, & use the 1 building/making library. We’ll also be open for First Friday (7/6) from 5-8 pm.
Our next Castlemakers Kids meeting will be Saturday, June 23 from 3-5 pm, celebrating ARRL’s (Amateur Radio Reference League) Field Day. We’ll build an emergency wire antenna using a piece of coax cable, then join 35,000 other Ham Radio operators operating on Field Day by making a radio ‘contact’ with someone else using your antenna. We’ll drive over to Putnam County’s EOC at 3:30 to build the antennas & join the fun.
The Castlemakers CoderDojo, a free, volunteer-led, community-based programming club for young people, meets the first Saturday of every month. Our next meeting will be Saturday July 7th from 1-4 pm at 19 E Franklin St. Drop in anytime during that period to learn coding, work on a project or just have some fun…
The next 3DPO (3D Printer Owners) Meetup will be part of the Rose-Hulman Ventures road trip, it will include seeing their 3D printing and other fabrication equipment. Join us on July 11th at 3PM (leaving Greencastle at 2 pm) to get a tour of perhaps the best rapid prototyping, product development and design firm in the Midwest.
- On June 21rst at 6:30 pm we’ll continue our Design to Product series, this time on 3D printing. We’ll cover in a little more depth what makes a good (AND bad) 3D printable design, showing you some examples of both. You’ll get a chance to design a small item in this class. See the classes page for reservations & more details.
- July & August will be classes on designing products for Lasercutting and desktop CNC machines.
Putnam County Events
- STEAM powered Wednesdays for kids 6-12 in the Imagination Portal of the Putnam County Public Library, third Wednesday of each month, see their website for details.
Regional STEM/Maker Events
- There is a agBOT Challenge at the 2018 NextGen Competition near Rockville, Indiana on May 17th. Besides seeing how technology impacts agriculture, there will be a VEX Robotics competition at the event. More info on their website.
- The Techpoint Foundation for Youth is hosting their second annual Hackathon for kids age 7 to 17 on Saturday July 28, 2018. Last year, Susanna and Alice Howard won the Team Excellence Award, representing our local CoderDojo.
- Makevention is August 25th at the Bloomington/Monroe County Convention Center.